Home PJ Poole

October 26 — Pet Illness Symptoms

Tara had diahrea last night and needed to go out at 1:00 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. Gave her some argentum nitricum at 1:00 a.m. Gave Maggie some Tremedal at 3:00 a.m. to get through the rest of the night and maybe be OK for breakfast in the morning. Maggie stayed downstairs from 3:00 a.m. on. Didn’t want to force her to go upstairs again as she was looking comfortable on the couch. She’d been up and down twice already and wasn’t sure if Tara was going to be up again in a couple of hours so thought I’d leave her and hope the Tremedal would get her through the rest of the night.

She stayed lying on the couch when I came downstairs — unusual for her as she always gets up to say hello. Seemed happy to see me. She went outside and was putting some weight on the leg. Thought I would just take Tara for a walk but Maggie came to the door and wanted to come.

She hobbled half way down the driveway on three legs and then stopped. Didn’t want to go forward or to return to the house. After a few minutes of standing there (crying — me not Maggie) convinced her to come back to the house but she didn’t want to go into the house so down the driveway we went, again. Got to the end of the driveway and stood there for a few minutes then she decided which direction she wanted to go — up to the high school (just us and all the teenagers since this was just before school time). We strolled along and then I decided we’d gone far enough and should turn around and head home. Maggie had different ideas. So we stood there for awhile (me crying — thank God for long hair). She refused to go back and wanted to cross the road and go to the park over there. So off we went — of course saying hello to Barb who is not only her puppy sitter but the school crossing guard.

Once on the other side Maggie was walking better and more interested in everything that was going on, including squirrels and phantom rabbits. Took us an hour to do a 30 minute walk but we did it!

Thought she’d be hungry by the time we got back but she didn’t eat any breakfast. Looked interested but when the food got close she wanted nothing to do with it.

Tara only had 3 frozen chicken feet for breakfast — wouldn’t eat any chicken, eggs, or meat.

Gave her a dose of sulphur at 9:15 a.m.

Dr. J. said we could increase the frequency of the Tremedal or the dose and to watch her and see which she needed. If the existing potency was OK but wearing off before the 8 hours or if she needed a stronger dosage. I gave her the regular dose 11:45 a.m. which was just slightly earlier than the 8 hours. She was lying beside me and shifting from side to side, obviously uncomfortable. But still interested in all that’s going on in the back yard — we’re sitting on the deck. I’m on the deck beside her.

Maggie had a dose of Asa Foetida 200 ch at 2:20 p.m. and at 5:30. Tara had Star of Bethleham at 2:35 p.m. Put Star of Bethleham in their water so Maggie would have had it when she drank water at 4:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Barb, Maggie and Tara’s puppy sitter, came to visit at 3:30 so I took Tara out for a short walk. While we were gone Barb, got Maggie to eat half a dozen liver treats. Then I got Maggie to eat half a dozen dried chicken strips. She didn’t want any more. At least she’s eaten a little and has something in her stomach. That should make her more comfortable. She just ate 24 Wellness Chicken and Venison treats so gave her a dose of Metacam and Tremedal at 5:00 p.m.

Tara ate about 3/4 of a pound of raw steak and some cooked steak for dinner. Maggie wouldn’t eat it raw but ate about 1/2 pound of cooked steak.

Both were quiet all evening.

Gave Maggie another dose of Tremedal at 11:30 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *